- Myobrace is a type of removable functional appliance intended to perform dentofacial orthopedics.
- The specialty of orthodontics is actually called the specialty of “orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics”.
- The “orthodontics” part is the alignment and fit of the teeth while the “dentofacial orthopedics” part is the growth and balance of the face and jaws.
- Flanges: The flanges of the myobrace hold the cheeks and lips away from the teeth to allow expansion of the upper and lower jaws.
- Tooth channels: The tooth channels hold the lower jaw in the correct relationship with the upper jaw, which gradually changes the position of the lower jaw to match better with the upper jaw. In most cases the lower jaw is held forward from its natural rest position. These tooth channels also gradually straighten the teeth.
- Tongue shelf: The tongue shelf hold the tongue close to the roof of the mouth and assists in training the tongue to rest in the roof of the mouth. Myobrace wear alone in not enough to change the tongue rest position and exercises are necessary for the proper correction of tongue rest position.
- Tongue tag: The tongue tag is a guide that helps train the tip of the tongue to remain on “the spot”, which is the correct rest position for the tongue tip.
Myobrace treatment requirements:
- The wearing of the Myobrace is only one part of a comprehensive treatment plan to correct abnormal tongue rest posture, swallow, lip function, and chewing (orofacial myofunctional disorder), and to correct abnormal development of the jaws and teeth (malocclusion).
- This comprehensive treatment plan includes wearing the Myobrace along with associated exercises to correct orofacial myofunctional disorders. This treatment plan could also include conventional expansion of the upper jaw, additional breathing therapies, referral to an ENT, sleep physician, allergist, physiotherapist, osteopath, chiropractor, myofunctional therapist, oral surgeon, or psychologist.
- Although proper wear of the Myobrace appliance assists in the retraining of the orofacial myofunctional disorder it is not sufficient on its own and exercises to retrain the tongue and lips are required for 6 minutes twice a day on a daily basis.
- The Myobrace appliance must be worn all night during sleep and for 1 to 2 hours daily while awake.
- In most cases 1 hour of daily wear while awake along with wear during sleeping hours is sufficient for success.
- The wear time while awake does not have to be done in a single episode but can be broken up into shorter time periods that add up to an hour.
- It is commonly necessary to use tissue tape on the lips while wearing the Myobrace in order have the appliance stay in the mouth through the night. This is usually only necessary for a few days or weeks. Occasionally this taping is required over a longer period of time.
- Speaking is not possible while wearing the Myobrace so it is strongly advised that the Myobrace be worn during activities that do not require speaking such as reading, watching TV, working on the computer, or similar activity. Talking while wearing the Myobrace will result in damage to the appliance.
- ***The Myobrace must be worn for 1 to 2 hours while awake and all night during sleep along with performing the prescribed exercises for 6 minutes twice a day for optimal success. If you cannot assure that you can comply with these requirements on a daily basis for yourself or your child, you may wish to reconsider attempting this treatment for yourself or your child. A more conventional orthodontic treatment might be more suitable in such a case.
Myobrace materials and models:
- There are over 75 models and sizes of Myobrace appliances specifically designed for particular dental development stages and specific actions.
- There is a series of Myobrace appliances for Juniors, Kids, Teens, Adults, TMJ problems, and Sleep Issues among others.
- The first appliance in most series is made of soft medical grade silicone and is designed for maximum comfort as adaptation to wearing the appliance occurs.
- The second appliance in most series is made of soft medical grade silicone with a more rigid plastic core to provide more strength and allow greater expansion of the jaws.
- Most series of Myobrace appliances also include a tougher retainer style appliance made of polyurethane.
- This is a brief description of Myobrace appliances and for a more detailed description you can visit the Myobrace website.